Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Thursday, December 1, 2011
You can call it whatever you like, but many of us in Miami will not go to Art Basel 2011 on the Beach, preferring instead to stay where we belong, on our side of the causeways.
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Everything we dream about happens this week -- especially if you like free-forming, roller-skating, graffiti-writing, canvas-painting, pop-up shopping, single-speed-riding, foodie-friendly, barista-admiring, DJ-spinning, pretense-loving, cafe-perching, Soho Beach House see and be seen-ing. All good in the hood so to speak.
It's an ART thang, and the airport gonna be busy up in here starting like yesterday. You gonna see people in hoodies, sipping hip soft drinks out of the bottle (and Red Bull), congregatin' in dat dere Wynwood district, strollin' down NW 29th Street across Miami Avenue, detourin' through a bit of Puerto-Rican Miami (I went through Roberto Clemente Park!), sashaying past tents housing Art Miami, Art Asia, and Scope, seeking respite at Sugarcane, Sustain, Gigi's, and Michael's Genuine if they walk under 195 properly. Some will wander into Sakaya Kitchen and stumble into a Clive's (Omigod is that Lenny Kravitz on the wall?) open at unusually ungodly hours just to capitalize a bit on the week.
Despite the cynicism, it is our finest hour, better than the Superbowl (IMHO, a strip club is better than the Superbowl) better dressed than ULTRA (IMHO, the Mummers Parade is better dressed than ULTRA) and much cooler than the proposed Genting Casino (IMHO, the end of the world is cooler than the proposed Genting Casino). Though the SAT got rid of the analogies, Art Basel is to Miami as cool is to the 1111 Lincoln Road parking sculpture -- something to proudly show off.
Enjoy this week everyone -- this is Miami's 21st Century event.
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Sunday, October 2, 2011
- October Song: Amy Winehouse
- Beautiful: Damian Marley
- Outside Man: Junior Parker
- High On Your Love: Kings Go Forth
- Give Me The Sunshine: Leo's Sunshipp
- Send Out for Sunshine: Heatwave
- You Are My Sunshine: Dyke & the Blazers
- I Wish It Would Rain: Mayer Hawthorne
- Sun Goddess: Ramsey Lewis Trio
- Fresh Air: Quicksilver Messenger Service
- Anotha'(BBQ): People Under the Stairs
- Cold Rock a Party: MC Lyte
- Cold Sweat: James Brown
- Too Cold: Roots Manuva
- Autumn Sweater: Yo La Tengo
- Diana in the Autumn Wind: Gap Mangione
- I'm a Mummy: The Fall
- Bad Moon Rising: Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Orange Moon: Erykah Badu
- Bela Lugosi's Dead: Bauhaus
Saturday, August 13, 2011
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
I'm not exactly sure what these guys are measuring but I'm gonna keep the pictures to a minimum.
Miami Lakes councilmen in bathroom squabble
Dropping the F-bomb and threats to "take it outside" may sound like the start of a schoolyard brawl.
But this squabble involved two Miami Lakes politicians and happened in the bathroom during a break in the Tuesday night council meeting.
Both elected officials — Councilman Richard Pulido and Vice Mayor Nick Perdomo — claim the other made physical threats laced with cuss words.
Pulido said Perdomo threatened to beat him up while he was washing his hands. Perdomo also claims Pulido threatened him with a thrashing in the men's room.
According to Pulido, his colleague on the dais lost his cool because he felt Pulido had slighted him during the Tuesday meeting to discuss a development deal on Northwest 87th Avenue.
After the meeting, the councilmen were still taking verbal swipes.
"We’re not thugs. We should act like public officials. We’re not conducting business like we’re in a third-world country," Pulido told the Herald.
And he just keeps going...
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Miami Herald columnist Dan
Rumors swirled about whether to bring back
Meanwhile, the NBA was putting its finishing touches on another NBA Cares commercial featuring Carlos Arroyo when the HEAT
Ownership plans to give all Overtown children who have no absences from school and elementary school AP level classes free
Monday, February 21, 2011
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Sunday, February 13, 2011
- size and number of puddles in the lot
- nausea creating traffic
- signage variety
- parking harmony
- multicultural appeal
- 0 spaces available -- top shelf
- 1 space available -- needs something
- 2 spaces available -- needs more than a little help
- 3 spaces available -- fender bender paradise
- 4 spaces available -- wrecking ball ready
Friday, February 11, 2011
1. 6:30am Biking to Breakfast at Coral Bagels.
2. 9:00am First Customer in the door at Books and Books.
3. 11:00am Coffee and pastelito at Versailles.
4. 12:30pm Glass of Wine and Pami at Happy Wine.
5. 2:30pm A cold beer at Scotty's.
6. 4:00pm Smoothie at the Wayside Market.
7. 6:11pm Enjoy the sunset with Hector and his parents fishing at Deering.
total distance- 40 miles; total cost- $40; amount of snow encountered- 0 inches.
Thursday, February 10, 2011
- Getting awakened by your neighbors' lawn crew's string trimmer before 8:30
- Talking to your formerly unionized, government pensioned, retired neighbors who hate unions and government
- Five cars turning left as a light turns red and you are in West Kendall
- Seeing housekeepers getting on the bus during a thunderstorm near Old Cutler mansions
- Having to enter any Winn Dixie
- Waiting for workers who routinely fail to keep appointments or even show up